Bacopa Monnieri for Calm and FocusApr 22, 2021
Timothy Culbert, MD
Bacopa Monnieri is a small, creeping herb with some powerful healing potential. Learn more about this herb and how you might use it below. *Please see important notes near bottom of page and remember, new products should not be started without your doctor’s knowledge and supervision.
Bacopa Monnieri Benefits
Bacopa Monnieri is an herb that can support the nervous system. It may help to modulate stress, improve brain function, and protect the brain against the effects of aging. For hundreds of years, Bacopa Monnieri has been utilized in Ayurvedic Medicine for a variety of purposes such as improving memory, enhancing brain functions, reducing anxiety, and for its anti-inflammatory benefits. 
Bacopa Monnieri and ADHD
Bacopa Monnieri may reduce symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). One study with 31 children aged 6–12 years found that taking 225mg of Bacopa Monnieri extract daily for 6 months significantly reduced ADHD symptoms (i.e., restlessness, poor self-control, inattention, and impulsivity in 85% of the children). 
Bacopa Monnieri may also enhance brain functions such as the speed of processing visual information, learning rate, and memory, as compared to placebo treatments. 
Bacopa Monnieri and Anxiety
Bacopa Monnieri may reduce stress, anxiety, and depression symptoms in part related to its effects on modulating cortisol, a chemical released by our stress system. Bacopa Monnieri is considered to be an adaptogen, a special herb that helps our body adjust to physical, mental, and environmental stressors. 
Bacopa Monnieri Dosage and Use
For most applications, a typical dose range for Bacopa Monnieri standardized extract (50% Bacosides which are the active ingredient) would be 200-400 mg daily.
However, dosage recommendations can vary widely depending on the product you purchase. If you have questions regarding dosage, speak with a qualified health professional to ensure your safety.
Bacopa Monnieri is available in both capsule and powder form. It is fat soluble and should be taken with food or milk. In powdered form, it can be dissolved in hot liquid but has a strong taste that some find pretty gross (especially kids!).
Though Bacopa Monnieri monnieri may work relatively quickly to calm anxiousness, it must be taken regularly over several weeks to experience its potential cognitive enhancement effects. 
Bacopa Monnieri Side Effects
Common side effects include increased bowel movements, stomach cramps, nausea, dry mouth, and fatigue.
Bacopa Monnieri Supplements at Natural Mental Health
Sharp Mind is a blend that includes 50 mg per capsule of Bacopa Monnieri.
Stress Support is a blend of L-theanine (50 mg per capsule) with additional nutrients and herbs including 150 mg of Bacopa Monnieri per capsule to help combat the negative effects of stress.
Holy Basil for Joy and Calm
Holy basil adds a calming effect for an anxious mind, reducing the tendency to keep the stress response going. It slows the release of cortisol, and once it is released, holy basil blocks the cortisol receptors, limiting the damage it can do. Read more.
- Simpson, Tamara et al. “Bacopa monnieri as an Antioxidant Therapy to Reduce Oxidative Stress in the Aging Brain.” Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM vol. 2015 (2015): 615384. doi:10.1155/2015/615384
- Dave UP, Dingankar SR, Saxena VS, Joseph JA, Bethapudi B, Agarwal A, Kudiganti V. An open-label study to elucidate the effects of standardized Bacopa monnieri extract in the management of symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in children. Adv Mind Body Med. 2014 Spring;28(2):10-5. PMID: 24682000.
- Stough C, Lloyd J, Clarke J, Downey LA, Hutchison CW, Rodgers T, Nathan PJ. The chronic effects of an extract of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001 Aug;156(4):481-4. doi: 10.1007/s002130100815. Erratum in: Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2015 Jul;232(13):2427. Dosage error in article text. PMID: 11498727.
- Calabrese C, Gregory WL, Leo M, Kraemer D, Bone K, Oken B. Effects of a standardized Bacopa monnieri extract on cognitive performance, anxiety, and depression in the elderly: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2008 Jul;14(6):707-13. doi: 10.1089/acm.2008.0018. PMID: 18611150; PMCID: PMC3153866.
- Pase MP, Kean J, Sarris J, Neale C, Scholey AB, Stough C. The cognitive-enhancing effects of Bacopa monnieri: a systematic review of randomized, controlled human clinical trials. J Altern Complement Med. 2012 Jul;18(7):647-52. doi: 10.1089/acm.2011.0367. Epub 2012 Jul 2. PMID: 22747190.
- Aguiar, S., & Borowski, T. (2013). Neuropharmacological review of the nootropic herb Bacopa monnieri. Rejuvenation research, 16(4), 313-326.